Gym to Crag
Transition to Outdoor Sport Climbing
Gym to Crag Course
Take your climbing outside!
Build on the skills learned and practiced indoors at the climbing gym and explore climbing outdoors with confidence. We will cover the considerations, essential skills and adapt to the needs of the outside crag. This course is also a great refresher for people who just haven’t climbed outside in a while. Whether you’re progressing toward becoming an independent outdoor climber or you want to be comfortable assessing safety and be a strong climbing partner, this course is for you.
Gym to Crag Course Curriculum Highlights
- Learn to identify, assess, and mitigate environmental risk/hazards
- Adapt climbing movement and route finding on natural rock.
- Outdoor belay, lead belay techniques and considerations and challenges.
- Sport anchors: Building solid and equalized anchors and cleaning techniques.
- Common climbing knots to know and their different applications.
- ATC and Gri-Gri type devices and how they apply to different circumstances
- Rope management, while on lead and for the lead belay.
- Using Guidebooks, apps, climbing etiquette and local standards and ethics.
2021 Course Dates
May 21st, July 8th, July 14th, August 6th