Intro to Trad Gear
Trad Gear and Anchors: An Introduction
We will focus on applying protection skills into the context of anchor building for top rope set up, top belay and lead climbing. Learn tools and develop your bag of tricks for confident efficient trad climbing. The curriculum will be presented with a balance of instruction and hands on practice. No previous trad climbing experience is necessary. We can provide all trad gear and equipment needed.
Essential Trad Skills for Anchor Building and Lead Climbing
Building a Climbing Rack
- Defining and exploring hands on, each type of trad gear and how they are used.
- What is on a starter rack? essential gear to match your goals, ability and the areas you climb.
- Selection- selecting the correct size and type
- Placement- optimal placement to best match terrain features
Placing Trad Gear on Lead
- Racking up-preparing and organizing your gear
- Stances- efficient, comfortable crack climbing technique
- Assessing terrain and rock quality
- Extensions to mitigate rope drag and optimal stability
- Spacing- recognizing and protecting terrain hazards
- Removing and re-racking gear as a second climber
All initial lead practice will be done as a “mock” lead (with added security of a top rope, on belay).
2021 Course Dates
May 28th, June 19th, July 10th
Courses are $150 per person, a minimum of two people required to run a course