Intro level courses for Sport or Trad Lead Climbing
There is a lot to consider in the jump from top rope climbing to lead climbing. We will cover and practice the skills in a progression. From ground school to Mock Leads (practice with a top-rope belay) , then working up to (optional) first time lead climb on an appropriate level climb.
- A solid base of top-rope climbing and belay experience is a prerequisite for this course
- Curriculum will be presented with a balance of instruction and hands-on practice.
Sport Lead Climbing
- Route selection: using Guidebooks, apps and internet resources.
- Prepare and rack your gear; personalize your system.
- Quick-draws and clipping lead rope considerations.
- Efficient movement for lead climbing
- Building solid and equalized anchors to cover many situations.
- Cleaning a sport anchor – lowering or rappelling down safely.
- Lead belay techniques, using Gri-Gri and tube style device.
- Rope management considerations for lead climber and belayer.
- Universal climbing etiquette and awareness of local standards and ethics.
Traditional Lead Climbing
Understand the fundamental techniques and tools of trad gear placement for lead climbing and anchor building principles for top ropes.
Establish solid judgment through a progression style approach-utilizing “mock-lead” back-up for added safety.
Trad leading curriculum includes:
- Building a rack: essential traditional gear. Create your racking system.
- Placing and removing traditional protection for lead climbing and anchors.
- Rope drag prevention techniques, extension tools and strategies
- Route selection, guide book descriptions and terrain assessment.
- Lead belaying considerations specific to trad climbing
2021 Course Dates
Trad Leading TBD
“I came from a background of only gym climbing and the guides were AMAZING!!! The amount of knowledge and expertise they bring to the table is incredible.”