Intro level courses for Sport or Trad Lead Climbing
Learn the essential skills and techniques of lead climbing and be ready for the next level!
We will cover the considerations and practice the skills to move from top rope climbing to lead climbing. We will follow a progression from ground school of route selection gear, racking, clipping styles then putting it together with mock leads (practice with a top-rope belay) on appropriate level climbs. Putting into practice all the skills working toward confidence and comfort for your first lead climbs.
- A solid base of top-rope climbing and belay experience is a prerequisite for this course
- Curriculum will be presented with a balance of instruction and hands-on practice.
Sport Lead Climbing
- Route selection: using Guidebooks, apps and internet resources.
- Prepare and rack your gear; personalize your system.
- Quick-draws and clipping lead rope considerations.
- Efficient movement for lead climbing
- Building solid and equalized anchors to cover many situations.
- Cleaning a sport anchor – lowering or rappelling down safely.
- Lead belay techniques, using Gri-Gri and tube style device.
- Rope management considerations for lead climber and belayer.
- Universal climbing etiquette and awareness of local standards and ethics.
Traditional Lead Climbing
Understand the fundamental techniques and tools of trad gear placement for lead climbing and anchor building principles for top ropes.
Establish solid judgment through a progression style approach-utilizing “mock-lead” back-up for added safety.
Trad leading curriculum includes:
- Building a rack: essential traditional gear. Create your racking system.
- Placing and removing traditional protection for lead climbing and anchors.
- Rope drag prevention techniques, extension tools and strategies
- Route selection, guide book descriptions and terrain assessment.
- Lead belaying considerations specific to trad climbing
2022 Course Dates
Sport Leading May 28th, June 7th, July 9th, Aug 15th
Courses are $150 per person, a minimum of three people required to run a course
Trad Leading TBD
“I came from a background of only gym climbing and the guides were AMAZING!!! The amount of knowledge and expertise they bring to the table is incredible.”